When insurers contest your coverage
A successful business is often a bull's-eye for litigious competitors, plaintiffs or even employees. When a business is named as a defendant in a lawsuit, it may look to its insurance company for defense and protection. Unfortunately, insurers may contest coverage, often making litigation inevitable. Cokinos, Bosien & Young's insurance/risk management practice group brings years of experience in complex insurance litigation to the table to interpret and enforce the terms of the policy in favor of coverage for the business insured. At the same time, too many businesses discover that watching the bottom line often compromises planning for the risk of claims or lawsuits. Cokinos, Bosien & Young's lawyers bring these risks into focus for our clients. We advise whether a contemplated course of action can result in increased exposures and how those exposures can be minimized through risk management, spread through insurance or transferred by contract. By providing these front-end services, Cokinos, Bosien & Young maximizing protection for its clients against risks encountered in the course of doing business.
Insurance and risk management legal services we provide:
- Coverage Litigation. We handle disputes over the duty to defend, indemnify, settle and appeal lawsuits and claims against our clients
- Other Parties Insurance. We analyze the claim to determine if there are other sources of insurance coverage, indemnity or defense in addition to, or even instead of, our client’s own coverage.
- Defense Advice and Monitoring. Many policies call for the reimbursement of the insured’s reasonable attorney’s fees incurred by the insured’s own attorney in defending the claim. Our lawyers assist in getting those fees paid.
- Risk Management Advice. Our lawyers review the client’s insurance program and coverages as to appropriate coverages for their peculiar exposures. The client’s business agreements are reviewed, revised or originally drafted to maximize contractual risk transfer.
- Liability Insurance. Our lawyers advise on commercial general liability, directors and officers, professional liability, errors and omissions, pollution legal liability and virtually any other of the wide variety of insurance products which are purchased by sophisticated business insureds.
- Property Insurance. We counsel, advise and represent clients as to claims involving complex commercial property exposures involving builders risk, business interrogation, extra expense, commercial crime and subrogation issues.
- Fidelity and Surety. We represent sureties, principals and obligees in connection with performance, payment, bid, fidelity and the myriad of other types of bonds associated with sophisticated businesses.
- Kinds of Disputes. The claims we handle include the following types of claims:
- Construction defect
- Builders risk
- Work place injuries
- Design professional liability
- Commercial property and business interruption